Smarter Training is a boutique personal training studio in North Vancouver that is owned by Richard Brice.
Richard is a Personal Trainer and Kinesiologist that uses a brain based approach to training people. He specializes in teaching people how to overcome their own pain and how to improve athletic performance.
Richard has been coaching and training people for 18 years and in that time he has helped people ranging from professional athletes to people struggling with chronic pain and other health challenges.
His professional life has been heavily shaped by his personal health struggles.
Growing up in England, Richard was a high level athlete who spent more time on the sidelines than on the field. Injuries and pain negatively affected much of his childhood, which is one of the reason's he's so passionate about helping children to stay healthy.
Injuries weren’t his only problem though. When he was 22 he became ill, which left him with chronic fatigue, depression and a host of other problems.
After trying the traditional medical route without success, Richard started learning everything he could about heath and fitness in an attempt regain is health. He studied under some of the worlds top coaches, therapists and doctors in a range of disciplines from strength training through to functional medicine and applied neurology.
By using this combined knowledge, Richard was able to overcome all of his health issues and even be able to play sport without pain for the first time in his life. At Smarter Training he teaches people the approach that he used to overcome his own health issues, so that they can look after their own health.
Brain based training is a big part of this approach. Because, what Richard learned was that most of his struggles with pain and fatigue were actually as a result concussions sustained playing soccer and other sports. It was only once he had rehabilitated his brain, that he was able to regain his health.
This is why he offers free injury and pain rehab workshops to teams that play contact sports.
If you would like to work with Richard, please click the button below and fill out the quick questionnaire on your goals.
Strategy Session Questionnaire
Richard Brice Personal Training / Kinesiology Education List:
- Kinesiologist - Practicing Member of BCAK
- BSc (Hons) Science and Football – Liverpool John Moores University
- Z Health Essentials of elite performance (Dr Eric Cobb)
- Z Health R-Phase (Dr Eric Cobb)
- Z Health I-Phase (Dr Eric Cobb)
- Z Health S-Phase (Dr Eric Cobb)
- Z Health T-Phase (Dr Eric Cobb)
- Z Health Structure (Dr Eric Cobb)
- Z Health Strength (Dr Eric Cobb)
- Functional Range Conditioning (FRC) Mobility Specialist (Dr Andreo Spina)
- Certified Physical Preparation Specialist (CPPS) – (Joe Defranco)
- PICP level 1 strength coach (Charles Poliquin)
- PICP level 2 strength coach (Charles Poliquin)
- Fascial Stretch Therapy (FST) level 1 (Anne & Chris Fredericks)
- Fascial Stretch Therapy (FST) level 2 (Anne & Chris Fredericks)
- Fascial Stretch Specialist (FST) level 3 (Anne & Chris Fredericks)
- Certified Practitioner of Functional Diagnostic Nutirtion (FDN)
- Certified Gluten Free Practitioner (Dr Tom O’Brien)
- Viola Structural Joint Balancing 1.0 (Joel Crandall)
- Functional Diagnostic Nutrition level 2
- Metabolic Typing Advisor Level 1
- BioSignature Level 1 Practitioner (Charles Poliquin)
- BioSignature Lvel 2 – Lab analysis – (Dr Mark Scahuss)
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) practitioner
- NABBA – advanced personal trainer
- Football Association – football coaching license
- Lawn Tennis Association – tennis coaching license